In this blog post, I will reveal to you the best English transcription jobs to make money from home. These are legitimate companies that offer type-at-home opportunities. It also has information you must know before getting started.
My intention is to make this blog post as short as possible by only giving you the critical information that you need to get started correctly.
Before I mention the top transcription jobs, there are some things you must know if you are just getting started.
First of all, if you do not know what a transcription job is, it is an online job where you will be given an audio or video file and your job is simply to type it to text form.
You will need the following to get started:
- A laptop or desktop computer with internet connection. A cell phone or tablet will not work effectively.
- Next, you must have a good set of quality headphones to listen to audio files as you type.
- A verified PayPal account because most companies pay via PayPal.
- You must have excellent English written and listening skills if you wish to become an English transcriptionist.
- To make money in a timely fashion, you must be able to type at least 50 words per minute.
- You will be required to undergo a short typing and English proficiciency test as part of the application process.
Remove any false expectations about how much money you will make. Despite a lot of YouTubers producing videos with the title “make $100 per day or more typing” and similar titles, the reality is that you will not make loads of money.
On average these companies will pay up to $20 per hour long audio file. They are not referring to one hour of work completed.
“An audio hour is the length of the audio file rather than the amount of time it takes for you to transcribe”.
In other words they mean that for a one hour long video to be transcribed to text they will pay you $20. For the most part a one hour long audio clip can take approximately 3 to 5 hours or longer to omplete. So on average you will make between $3 to $7 per hour.
Essential Tools Needed
There are some optional tools and equipment you should consider purchasing to make it easier for you to transcribe. These include:
Ergonomic keyboard – this type of keyboard is designed to reduce strain on wrist so that you type faster.
Foot pedal – this tool allows you to use your feet to fast forward or rewind audio files as you type. Hence you will type faster.
Audacity online software – This software is free to use. Some audio files may contain background noise. Audacity will eliminate background noise to improve audio quality. It also allow you to slow down the audio so that you can better understand it.
Otter online software – This software will transcribe audio files to text. Then all you will have to do is go through the text for punctuation, spelling errors. It cost about $13 per month, there is a free version with less features.
Okay let’s go into the list of transcription companies.
Top 10 Type at Home (Transcription) Jobs
1. GoTranscript.com – This company offers jobs worldwide. Once you apply you will have to take a quiz, it can take up to 30 to 50 days to find out the results of the test and whether your application was approved. The average earnings per month is about $150. They pay every Friday via PayPal or Payoneer.
2. TranscribeMe.com – is one of the most popular transcription jobs website. Payments are paid via PayPal. They may require you to upload valid identification documents, so use your correct information. They pay up to $15 per audio hour.
3. Scribie.com – Scribie is another popular company. This website always has work available unlike a lot of the other platforms that have limited tasks available. They pay between $5 to $25 per audio hour. They also pay a monthly bonus of $5 for every 3 hours of work completed per month. You can withdraw your earnings to your PayPal account anytime. Generally the audio files are 6 minutes or shorter for transcription. You can apply from anywhere in the world once PayPal is supported in your country. Your application will be reviewed within 1 business day, then join a waiting list to take a test. You have up to 10 attempts to pass the test.
4. TranscriptionHub.com – A lot of big name institutions use Transcription Hub to transcribe for them. If you fail to either reject a file within 60 minutes of pick up or deliver the transcript within 24 hours of pick up, your account will be cancelled and you will no longer be eligible to work for the company. Your accumulated earnings will be paid out to your PayPal account between the 1st and 5th of every month.
5. Rev Captioning – has a lot of jobs with high paying audio files. Rev accepts Transcription and Caption applicants from the following countries: Australia, Canada, Germany, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa, United Kingdom, United States (excluding California). You will have to pass a skills test and then submit as many as 3 samples before being approved. The tests to be accepted are very difficult and not designed for beginners. They pay around $25-$40 per audio hour which is one of the highest in the industry. They pay on time every week and by PayPal.
6. DailyTranscription.com – To apply as a Transcriptionist you MUST reside within the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, South Africa or Australia. According to their website, their top transcriptionist makes anywhere from $250- $950 per week. Daily Transcription pays weekly by check only
7. DictateExpress.com – Only available for persons living in the US. Only applicants who have one to two years of experience as a transcriptionist are accepted. There is rarely a shortage of work. There are 4 tests: Spelling, Comma Use, Confusing Words, and a 4-minute audio transcription test. These tests are “open book,” so passing scores are high (100% for Spelling, 90% for Comma Use and Confusing Words, and pass/fail review of the transcription test). You must pass each test in order to proceed to the next test. Pay is per 65-character line, including spaces. Payments are made by direct deposit.
8. WayWithWordsJobs.com – Previous transcription experience is not essential, as they will show you the ropes. However, as with most transcription companies, you will have to take a proficiency test before your application is approved. Presently they are only accepting transcribers from the following countries: South Africa, the United Kingdom, countries in the European Union, the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Malaysia, Singapore and Hong Kong. They pay via PayPal between $0.45 to $1.73 per audio minute.
9. CrowdSurfWork.com – Sign up through a third party site called Work Market. You will have to complete an assessment test. Once you’ve passed the assessment, an account will be created for you on the CrowdSurfWork platform. This usually takes 3-5 business days. They provide all of the training and support you need to get started earning money from home. Get paid via direct deposit, PayPal, or credit card. Valid proof of identity is required. Payment ranges from $0.17-$0.20 per media minute plus additional bonus rates
10. QA-World.com – This type at home company is very beginner friendly. They have a very easy test. Applications accepted worldwide. However there is a low pay rate between .05 to .15 audio minute. Low availability of jobs. They pay via PayPal.
Final Things to Keep In Mind
- If a program is not available to your country, you can consider using a VPN to hide your IP location. However use a VPN at your own risk because if they find out your account can be banned.
- Jobs are first come first serve. So check in daily to find the best jobs.
- Always study the guidelines from the company. While the basic concept behind these companies are very similar, each company is different. Therefore they may have certain specific rules. Know what the rules are for each company you work with so that you do not get penalized and end up not getting paid.
- You must log in to your account at least once a month and complete transcription jobs. Otherwise your account will be considered dormant and you will lose your account.
- The best workers are given more opportunities to earn higher-paying assignments and even take on additional responsibilities, which can also mean better pay. Therefore always submit quality work with no or minimal errors, so that you get higher paying typing jobs.
- Transcription / Type at Home jobs can be time consuming and the pay is not too profitable.
➡️➡️ If you want to Discover My #1 Recommendation to Make a Full-Time Income From Home, Click Here: TheHonestInternetMarketer.com/TheTopPick